With the summer months upon us, children will be spending more time at home, so it’s important to make certain they are safe as their endless summer fun fills the house and backyard. The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) wants to help ensure your home is safe while your children are out of school for summer.
HomeSafety: 10 Tips For Protecting Your Children At Home
Tips for a Safe Home:
1. Don’t let water danger dampen the fun. Always watch young children while they are swimming or playing in or around water. Supervise young children in the bathtub, too. Teach children to swim and about water and pool safety rules.
2. HANDS OFF cleaning products. Keep liquid laundry detergent packets and household cleaners away from children and store them up and out of their reach and sight. They can be harmful if swallowed or get into the eyes.
3. Stop slipups. Use nonslip mats in bathtubs and showers.
4. Rail against danger. Install stair rails to prevent accidents.
5. Give accidents the gate. Use safety gates when your children are toddlers.
6. Kitchen caution. Keep flammable objects away from the stove.
7. Make your escape. Be sure every bedroom has two exits in case of fire and create and practice a family fire escape plan.
8. Alarming is arming. Install smoke alarms on every floor, including basements, and change the batteries at least once a year.
9. Lock down. Keep all household cleaning products and sharp kitchen utensils in cabinets and drawers with proper child safety locks.
10. Check everyday items for potential hazards. Make sure medicines, batteries, pins, lighters, matches and so on are safely out of reach or behind locked doors.
For further safety tips, visit www.cleaninginstitute.org/hands-off.
Did You Know?
Liquid laundry packets contain highly concentrated detergent? As with any household cleaning product, liquid laundry packets should never be handled by children and always stored out of reach and in their original containers.
Visit www.cleaninginstitute.org/hands-off to learn more about the “dos” and “don’ts” of laundry safety.